Friday, February 7, 2014

EXPERTS vs EXPERTISE

A respected mentor once told me there are no experts, only serious students . . . S.L.


To this day I never refer to myself as an expert of any particular subject or field.

When approached to examine a problematic situation, I inwardly wince when I hear someone introduce me as the "subject matter expert". It seems that everyone immediately expects a miraculous solution to whatever dilemma faces them. It's almost like being set up for failure, especially if the options are the lesser of two evils.


As a seasoned security professional I bring a wide scope of knowledge and experience to any team. In fact, the more I know and do, the less respect I have for the term "expert". Personally, I prefer to be referred to as a "problem solver".


Interested to hear from others on this . . .

STORMBRINGER SENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment