Friday, March 15, 2013

HOW TO USE AN ANALOG WATCH AS A COMPASS

I mentioned to somebody today that the reason I wear a Rolex is because I can use it as a compass. This information amazed the person I was talking to, which in turn amazed me. I thought everybody knew how to do this . . . S.L.


Step 1: Determine if you are in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere.




Step 2: In the Northern Hemisphere:

1. Hold the watch horizontal.




2. Point the hour hand in the direction of the sun.




3. Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line (substitute 1 o'clock mark during Daylight Saving Time). North will be the direction further from the sun.




Step 3: In the Southern Hemisphere:

1. Hold the watch horizontal.




2. Point twelve o'clock in the direction of the sun.




3. Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line.




4.North will be the direction closer to the sun, south the other way.





Using a watch as a compass is the Green Beret way . . . but something else I learned in my travels was how to tell time WITHOUT a watch - this is the advanced technique:




- STORMBRINGER SENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment