Saturday, December 24, 2011



mavrock1:
JAMI FLOYD’S REVIEW got picked up on “THIRD AGE”
I know exactly how Jami Floyd felt when she admitted to some trepidation reading the memoirs of a man she had idolized most of her life. I have idolized James Garner for most of my life too, only I’m a lot older than Jami. I was a kid when Maverick hit the air in 1957, and that’s when I developed my very first crush - on James Garner.
Like Jami, as I matured my crush matured into great admiration for Jim Garner as a person and an incredibly gifted actor. Sure, he’s handsome, but there’s a lot more to it than that. There are lots of handsome men in Hollywood - maybe not as handsome as Garner, but attractive nonetheless. Still, they never moved me. I’m not a Star Chaser either, and actually there has never been another star that I would walk across the street to see - seriously. Only James Garner.
I wasn’t really worried when I started reading The Garner Files, because, while I would have been as devastated as Jami if Garner had turned out to be a self-absorbed jerk, I didn’t expect that to happen. From the first time I ever saw him in Maverick, I was absolutely sure Jim Garner was a good man. I just knew. And I was right.
The book is wonderful although it held few real surprises for an old fan like me, there were details I didn’t know of course, and I found it all interesting. There were funny parts, sad parts, and everything in between.
Through it all, though, I found that Jim Garner was exactly who I had believed him to be for all these years, only - to quote Jon Winokur - “better.”
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment