Monday, November 21, 2011

Dear James Garner Fans by Gigi Garner




Dear James Garner fans,

I would like to briefly address a recent attack upon my Father by the tabloids and clear up any misconceptions regarding his “drug” use as revealed in his new memoir, “The Garner Files”

I would like you to know that my dear Father has dealt with a lifetime of chronic pain, stemming from early football injuries, to stunts gone bad, to serious life threatening injuries and illnesses.

Considering that marijuana is now a legal medication here in California, with a prescription from a doctor, it obviously does help patients suffering with serious health problems, fatal illnesses and severe and chronic pain, the same way that many other natural and synthetic medications do.

Although he is no longer using it, I admire the courage it took to admit that he did use it and that it did help him with his chronic pain. I asked him about exposing this particular issue before the book came out and he said he wanted to talk about it because  “It might help someone”. At the risk of being attacked by the tabloids, that was his sole motivating factor. 

Thank you for your support and understanding ;)
 
I've been saying this myself ever since Jim's book, The Garner Files - in which Jim reveals that he had used marijuana to help with chronic pain and depression. Here is a book with 300 pages filled with Jim's view of his life, some funny, some poignant, many inspiring but all coming together to show us that James Garner is indeed the man we all thought him to be. He's is one of the very few who actually is a role model, one of a kind and yes, a hero.

But, with all that to choose from a few "reviewers" who obviously didn't even read the book, and of course, the tabloids, took a laser like focus on one tiny detail - he used pot! I don't think they would have been half as worked up if Jim had revealed himself as being a serial killer. What utter crap! What unbelievable hypocrisy. The tabloids I can understand because this is what they do after all - take a minor detail and make a major story out of it. Or flat make it up, as in the last few times they mentioned Jim and they had him at death's door. I guess smoking pot is better than being dead.

My major problem however is with the "reviewers" who had not read the book and took blurbs from others who had and hung an entire point of view on that one thing. One even called the book "drug filled." Come again? I believe the entire "drug" discussion took less than one page. These so-called "critics" revealed far more about themselves than about their target, who stands head and shoulders above them. But again, they know that, which undoubtedly is the true reason for their ridiculous rantings. Small people endlessly trying to drag a big person down to their level. Never happen, you phoney-balonies, so just get over it.

Don't give it another thought, Gigi. As someone who has endured chronic pain and depression for most of my own life, I understand perfectly. I'd use it too if it helped. For those who have been fortunate to have escaped this curse, I say, "Walk a mile in our shoes." If you can make it for a mile that is.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment