Monday, October 31, 2011

The Rap Sheet - Grilling Garner

The Rap Sheet: Grilling Garner

Friday, October 28, 2011

Grilling Garner

Chalk this up as the highlight of my year: my recent opportunity--which, of course, I took--to interview James Garner.
Jim and his step-mother, Grace Bumgarner

JKP: Are you still taking on-screen acting jobs?


JG: I’m officially retired, and you can quote me on that. (Unless something really juicy comes along.)


JKP: Where were you last month when you heard that your brother Jack had passed away? It was always fun to spot him on the screen with you. [He played Captain McEnroe in Rockford and Jack the Bartender in Bret Maverick, among other roles.] I hope he had a fine send-off.


JG: I was home in Los Angeles. Jack and I were pals as well as brothers. We always had fun working together--one of the things Jack was proudest of was that he’d earned a SAG [Screen Actors Guild] pension. And we played a lot of golf together over the years--Jack was also a golf professional and a very good player.


There was a wonderful memorial service where people got up and told stories about him, most of them funny, because Jack had a great sense of humor. I miss him.

JKP: Finally, what’s the most important thing you’ve learned in 83 years?


JG: I’m still learning!


Posted by J. Kingston Pierce at 7:01 AM
 Read the entire interview on
The Rap Sheet: Grilling Garner


Read the Kirkus Review of The Garner Files - James Garner: Leading Man To Legend
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment